Saturday, September 24, 2022

RELINQUISH

 



RELINQUISH

 

Telling you dear daughter stories,

Sought grace of Lord as the father,

Only one in life I dreamed acutely,

Chamber innermost of heart locked,

Reverently begged  the stone idol,

Never asked for a good result, career,

Little asked for luxury, wealth, home,

Believed it all came in life in time,

One by one, after marriage, arranged,

A job in metros, house, rest happened,

Everything as a couple felt dreamy,

Materialized in due course by effort,

Savings magic wand checked instinct,

Festive seasons lighted shopping malls,

Our passions checked,  dearest child,

Looked hungrily at  cosmetic goods,

Dress, utensils, gadgets, ornament,

Gold jewelry, mother's intentions,

Saved tours in vacation, tourist places,

Disbelieved our savings crossed million,

Husband n wife laughed a lot, what to do,

Answered my wife for children, I pinched,

How many, dear, you wish in the womb,

Her answer was a son, found I silent,

She ran after me; I never told her,

A hidden desire for a daughter, my secret,

Less believed God provides but prayed,

Son and daughter were both fulfilled,

You arrived first,  your brother next,

Your talent was visible in the school,

Silent, sober, decent demeanor loving,

Beautiful a flower blossomed in time,

Dignified personality after university,

A friend closest in my life, you confided,

Marriage inter-caste, you confessed,

confided secretly, your marriage to me,

Mother knew, objected vehemently,

For weeks tried my best to console,

She was crying inconsolably, hurt,

Her generation-old custom pricked,

Marriage to be within Brahmin families

I left her sobbing till she emptied all,

All her anguishes spent fuel in tears,

Swollen eyes, silent utterly, I evaded,

I feared first in life, never saw agony,

She opened suitcases of silk saree,

Rare prints, costliest, eye-catching,

Purchased for you for wedding,

Showed me gold necklaces, earrings,

Gold bangles, bracelets with gems,

Ring for you with jewel dazzling,

No more she was crying,  she smiled,

Socked, disbelieved looks sparkling,

I know, dear husband, you love her,

Still, your breath is your daughter,

I used all our savings for gifts, marriage

Precious heart is your daughter, I know,

I wished to please you, bought for her,

These are bridal dresses for  my daughter,

I spent lifelong savings, no hesitation,

Relinquish all mother's responsibilities,

To conduct her marriage  is not needed,

Present to her these gifts from us.

 

@ Bijayananda Mishra

 

No comments: